v-USBands Virtual Performance for Fall 2020
Given the circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, each state and each school may have different guidelines to follow regarding marching band participation this fall and many schools are prohibited from travel, participating in mass gatherings or have been affected by budgetary or other restrictions imposed upon scholastic music programs. USBands has developed a creative and structured alternative to present an accredited solution to the participatory challenges music programs are facing.
In response to these requests for safe and meaningful options and opportunities for the traditional high school marching band activities in the upcoming 2020 fall season, USBands announces the launch of v-USBands, an alternative digital competition platform for students to remain engaged with their music programs and providing those programs the structure and accountability needed from school administrations for ongoing assessment and continuity.
The v-USBands platform is a virtual option for individuals, ensembles and bands of all sizes and skill sets to experience meaningful musical participation throughout the fall. Band directors are encouraged to use v-USBands as a main or complementary platform for their 2020 fall plans utilizing weekly evaluations over the traditional eight week USBands schedule to assist in student’s development as an individual or member of an ensemble.
Directors will be able to choose participation in traditional USBands events where possible, or v-USBands, or a combination of both options in order to meet the education objectives of their programs.
USBands has partnered with e-Adjudicate, the global leaders in online adjudication and evaluation, to deliver timely evaluations of individual performers, ensembles and full bands by experienced USBands adjudicators and clinicians.
Over the period of 8 weekends during the fall, performances from v-USBands submissions will be posted on FloMarching from individuals, ensembles and marching bands for parents, students, friends and extended family members, not to mention pageantry enthusiasts around the world, to watch and enjoy.
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
- USBands is excited to offer a new opportunity (v-USBands) as a virtual option for individuals, ensembles and bands of all sizes who desire a safe, meaningful option to traditional marching band
- v-USBands will be 8 weeks of scheduled participation for continuity and student and program development
- USBands adjudicators will provide evaluation and commentary using modified USBands criteria
- v-USBands performances and results will appear weekly on FloMarching
Here are some other highlights:
Exact details of the individual captions and band sizes remain flexible and will be based on the level of enrollment in each of the categories. More information will be available in the v-USBands Participation Guide and subsequent communications.
- Participating individuals, ensembles and bands will upload a video of their performance each week for evaluation within 72 hours
- Individual performances are segmented into four groups: Woodwind, Brass, Percussion, Visual and evaluated by one adjudicator
- Ensemble performances are segmented into groups of 25 performers or less: Brass, Woodwinds, Percussion (Battery/Concert/Mixed) and Mixed Ensembles or Color Guard and evaluated by two adjudicators. Standstill and marching classifications are available
- Marching Band performances are segmented into Division 1 Bands (26-50 students) and Division 2 Bands (51-80 Students) and evaluated by two adjudicators; division 3 Bands (81+ students) are evaluated by three adjudicators
- Standstill and marching classifications are available for Ensemble and Band Performances
- There will be a Creative Class whereby any mixture of acoustic, digital, cross-genre and enhanced or “processed” performances are allowed and evaluated by two Artistry adjudicators
- Individuals & Ensemble and Creative Class Performances will have no time limits, but the recommended tiime is 2:00 - 4:00 minutes. Marching band performances should be no longer than 8:00 minutes
USBands will attempt to provide a sense of normalcy for students with a full schedule of virtual events in the form of weekend online postings of all performances each week from September 26-November 14, complete with a presentation of the results for the week. More information will be forthcoming on the hosting platforms and other exciting announcements in the near future.
The tentative schedule as of July 10 is:
|EVENT||REGISTRATION DATE||SUBMISSION DATE||ADJUDICATION DATES||FLOMARCHING DATES|
|FLO Marching Kick-Off||Tues Sept 15||Tues Sept 22||Sept 22-Sept 25||Sept 26-Sept 27|
|Yamaha Cup||Tues Sept 22||Tues Sept 29||Sept 29-Oct 2||Oct 3-Oct 4|
|DeMoulin Invitational||Tues Sept 29||Tues Oct 6||Oct 6-Oct 9||Oct 10-Oct 11|
|Zildjian-Vic Firth Challenge||Tues Oct 6||Tues Oct 13||Oct 13-Oct 16||Oct 17-Oct 18|
|Remo Invitational||Tues Oct 13||Tues Oct 20||Oct 20-Oct 23||Oct 24-Oct 25|
|State Championships||Tues Oct 20||Tues Oct 27||Oct 27-Oct 30||Oct 31-Nov 1|
|National Championships||Tues Oct 27||Tues Nov 3||Nov 3-Nov 6||Nov 7-Nov 8|
|v-USBands Grand Finale||Tues Nov 3*||Tues Nov 10||Nov 10-Nov 13||Nov 14-Nov 15|
Registration fees for v-USBands are as follows:
- Individual - $25 per submission
- Ensemble - $50 per submission
- Division 1-2-3 Bands - $85 per submission
The 2020 v-USBands Participation Guide can be found here.
If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.