This summer, USBands is paving the way back to the band room with our Summer Education Series, powered by The Blue Devils! With multiple live, in-person events scheduled across the country, we are on a mission to get students ages 8 and up back with their peers, doing what they love, and getting them excited about music and the marching arts!
Performing Arts programs have taken a major hit in the past year, but at this summer’s events, we are providing the best education in music, movement, and leadership that students have been craving. Participants will have the opportunity to enroll in various programs designed for ages 8 and up, ranging from a few hours to full week-long camps. The culminating experience at the end of their event will be a special show-and-tell performance for families!
We are building this series with the health & safety of the students & educators in mind by complying with all public health department guidelines as they pertain to our events. Currently, that means we will be operating with mask protocols and social distancing guidelines, but we will continue to update our health & safety policies and procedures as we move closer.
USBands and the Blue Devils will provide local youth an in-person outlet to learn from some of the best minds in the performing arts industry. The Summer Education Series we provide will jump-start their middle or high school performing experience and start them off on an enthusiastic note. For those already in a performing arts program, we want to help you prepare for your upcoming adventure by giving you the skills needed to excel in any program.
We are so excited to provide these opportunities to empower you to reach the next level.
From young kids who are picking up their instrument for the first time to students with special needs and even educators who have been teaching for years, we’ve got something planned for everyone!
Additional details are provided in the sections below.
Music and Marching Arts Camp - 9am-6pm (lunch provided daily 1-2)
Young People’s Music Experience - 2pm-5:30pm
United Sound Camp - 2pm-6pm
NorCal - Foothill High School - 4375 Foothill Rd, Pleasanton, CA 94588
Texas - LD Bell High School - 1601 Brown Trail, Hurst, TX 76054
SoCal - Coming soon - Greater Los Angeles Area
Asst Director / Leadership
Color Guard Designer and Caption Head
Winds Music Designer; Visual Designer and Caption Head
Music Caption Head
Percussion Battery Designer and Caption Head
Percussion Front Ensemble Designer and Caption Head
Young People’s Music Experience
United Sound Camp
This inclusive 4-6 day camp is for high school brass, percussion, color guard, woodwind, and drum major students. Curriculum is customized for each camp and will benefit students of all performance levels with daily activities including master classes, ensemble studio’s, leadership training, and technique classes.
This program offers 2 education tracks to help meet the specific educational needs of each student. Participants will submit a pre-camp evaluation to determine their placement in either the Beginner or Intermediate track for this camp. Those participating in this program must have at least 1 year experience on their instrument.
Throughout this week-long training camp, students will work with expert educators to perfect their technique and master fundamentals. All students will also participate in daily training sessions centered around Leadership, Equity, Diversity, Inclusion & Belonging.
Music and Marching Arts Camps include:
- All instruction and training seminars
- Lunch each day
- PPE (musician mask, bell covers)
- Camp T-Shirt
- Drum sticks for percussionists
- Gloves for color guard
- Instrument/equipment use for those who need it (some limitations may apply)
This single afternoon event is designed to introduce young children to Music and Dance! Participants are not required to have any musical experience and we will provide all materials needed to make this a short but fun experience. Participants will engage in bucket drumming, explore movement and dance, receive a t-shirt, and enjoy a front row seat to watch the older students rehearse and perform. We want to get them excited about what is possible in their immediate future!
We’re extremely excited to partner with United Sound in offering a modified camp experience for students with special needs. This is an excellent opportunity for musicians and color guard students to experience and learn from United Sound and the Blue Devils. No prior experience is necessary! This experience will be 2 days, taking place during the last rehearsal block (4 hours each day). Each student will be paired with a peer mentor for an unforgettable experience and given a t-shirt to remember the day by.
The USBands Educator Experience is for instructors and educators who are interested in the design and instructional aspects of the Marching Arts. More information coming soon.
Are there age restrictions?
- USBands Young People’s Music Experience → 8-10 years old
- USBands Music and Marching Arts Camp (MMAC) → 11+
- USBands United Sound Camp → ages 11+ of students with special needs
Do I have to have experience playing my instrument?
- For USBands Music and Marching Arts Camp, yes; 1 year minimum.
- All others, no.
What is an example of the daily schedule?
- USBands Young People’s Music Experience → 1-day (2pm-5:30pm)
- USBands Music and Marching Arts Camp (MMAC) → Number of days varies, estimated 9am-6pm (lunch provided daily 1-2)
- USBands United Sound Camp → 2-day event (2pm-6pm)
How long will the camp be?
- USBands Young People’s Music Experience → 1 day
- USBands Music and Marching Arts Camp (MMAC) → Varies by location
- USBands United Sound Camp → 2 days
Do we stay overnight?
- No, students should head home after each camp day.
I have questions about the United Sound Camp for Students with Special Needs, who can I contact?
- Please email email@example.com.
I registered for the Music and Marching Arts Camp but didn't get the email confirmation/information, what do I do?
- Please check your Spam folder. If you don’t see there you're welcome to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
I registered for the Music and Marching Arts Camp, what is the evaluation?
- The pre-camp evaluation helps the instructional team identify each participant's track prior to each camp iteration. Each MMAC iteration will offer two simultaneous education tracks to provide our participants the best individualized educational experience. After submitting their evaluation, participants will receive links to their summer camp music files.
How do I upload a video to YouTube?
- Create an unlisted (not private) video on YouTube for us to review. You may submit up to three videos. Please review this information from YouTube.
How do I submit my video(s)?
- Once you have your audition video(s) prepared and uploaded to YouTube, sign into your Blue Devils account, click on "Audition Info", and submit the url(s) of your videos. (sign in using the same email address you used when paying for your registration)
Do you accept walk-ups or late registrations?
- Unfortunately, due to planning needs, we are not able to accept walk-up or late registrations. You must register before the deadline. Registration closes for each series 1-week prior to the first day of the event.
Can parents/spectators stay at a camp and watch?
- Please refer to page 8 of the COVID-19 Safety Plan & Guidelines as well as additional information in the event packet, which will be provided before the event.
Are snacks or meals provided?
- The Music and Marching Arts Camp will have lunch provided daily. Please review the event packet for your specific event for details.
What should I wear/bring?
- Clothing suited for movement and for outdoor activates
- Shorts and light-colored T-shirts are best suited for outdoor activities. Freedom of movement is essential for stretching and visual block (marching/movement technique).
- Please do not wear jeans.
- Proper footwear is a must for health and safety during visual rehearsals (marching technique sessions).
- Sandals, flip-flops, boots, and other non-athletic footwear is not permitted.
- Refillable water bottle
- Cap or visor
Are there forms I need to complete and turn in on arrival?
Do I need my instrument or guard equipment for the Music and Marching Arts Camp?
- Please bring your instrument if you have it, this question will be a part of registration.
- Brass - If you have it, bring it.
- Woodwinds - If you have it, bring it.
- Battery - If you have it, bring it, including drums, stands, carrier.
- Front ensemble - Bring any mallets you have.
- Color guard - If you have it, bring it, this includes, flag (with pole), rifle, and saber.
Do I need my instrument or guard equipment for the Young People's Music Experience?
- No, you do not need to bring any equipment.
Other items for health and safety?
- Please review the COVID-19 Safety Plan & Guidelines.
Are you offering a discount for groups?
- Yes! Please reach out to us at email@example.com for group discounts for 10 people or more.
Who do I contact if I have any issues with registration or have other questions not included here?
- We will provide a detailed packet of information before the event, it will contain all the information you need before you arrive, maps, and details while you are in attendance. You can always reach out to us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any additional questions.